Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Soldier's Poems

Well awhile back I wrote a poem about a soldier dying at war. I didn't think much of it, but I was reading through some of my grandfather's poetry today, and I was amazed at what I found. It was like he had finished the poem for me. So I will share with you my poem, and the poem my good ol' grandpa wrote a while back. Enjoy!

A Smile Upon His Face

He lies oh so calmly,
in a catatonic state,
Lying, simply lying, With a smile upon his face.

Broken, bloodied and beaten,
Within an angel's embrace-
still lying there, with that smile upon his face

No ones arms to be held in,
No gentle soul to close his eyes,
But yet He still smiles, as his body simply lies.

The hours pass, his strength is long since lost...
The value of our freedom
Is as heavy as it's cost.

With pride in his heart and loved ones on his mind,
His soul soon passes over,
But his smile is locked in time

Our country's valued soldier -honorable and brave-
Smiles in his resting place,
A shallow, unmarked grave.

Hannah J. Thomas

Sargent Rae

Before God stands a soldier though weary, worn and gray
He salutes, in defined decorum, “ Reporting for duty, Sir, Sargent Rea.”
“Old soldier you have served with honor. You have faced the worldly woes.
Your courage is unquestioned by your comrades and your foes.”

“Sargent, you have earned your rank with ideals both high and true.
March proudly through the gates of glory, all heaven welcomes you.”
Somewhere beyond this mortal plane in a realm of shining light
Serves a Sargent, young and dashing; with a spirit full of fight.

E. SCOTT THOMAS

2 comments:

Not Anonymous said...

Your poem made me cry.

Tom said...

Well thank you, I take that as a compliment. I hope you enjoy reading more, thanks for the comment :)